THIS PICTURE WAS GRACIOUSLY DONATED BY HAVELA TOLEN OF SPRINGWATER, NY
THE PORT HOUSE OF THE 1880's AT THE HEAD OF HEMLOCK LAKE
Group, front row, left to right: Rufus G. Clark; M.O. Austin; Geo. A. Pierce; W.H. Pierce; Fred Brettle, holding fish caught
by Geo. W. Whitehead; back of Brettle, E.E. Shutt; G.W. Whitehead, right of Shutt; Ruel Blake, standing right of
Whitehead; Geo. E. Snyder, seated right of Blake; oe Norton and Web Tyler standing back of G.E. Snyder; extreme
left, back row, D.P. Alger prop. Port House; Capt'n H.J. Wemett of the Corabelle, leaning against tree; Jud Snyder,
seated on mid rail of stairs; Mrs G.W. Whitehead, white waist, standing, upper balcony.
The original photograph, from which above photo is a reproduction, was taken one summer morning in the
early 1880's when Hemlock Lake was in the zenith of its popularity and the mecca of tourists far and near.
- By E. W. J.